Asst Prof Xu Yan
School of Electrical & Electronic Engineering
Smart Grids and Micro Grids
Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N)
Phone: (+65) 6790 4508
Office: S2 B2C 111
Dr Xu received his B.E. and M.E. degrees from South China University of Technology, Guangzhou, China, in 2008 and 2011, and PhD degree from University of Newcastle, Newcastle, Australia, in 2013, all in electrical engineering.
He is now holding the Nanyang Assistant Professorship at NTU Singapore, and also a Cluster Director (Smart Grids and Microgrids) at Energy Research Institute @ NTU (ERI@N).
Prior to joining NTU, he held the University of Sydney Postdoctoral Fellowship in Australia (http://sydney.edu.au/research/join-us/university-of-sydney-fellowship-scheme.html).
Between 2009 and 2011, he was with Hong Kong Polytechnic University, and from late 2015 to early 2016, he was with Electric Power Research Institute of China Southern Grid.
Dr Xu's research areas are:
- Renewable-energy power system's stability, control, and optimization
- Data-analytics for smart grid applications
- Microgrid and multi-energy system
- Electric vehicle integration to grid
where he has published 105 SCI-indexed journal papers (including 65 in IEEE Transactions and 23 in IET journals), as well as over 50 international conference papers. 6 of his publications are listed as the “web-of-science highly cited paper”. He has also received 7 paper contest awards and conference best paper awards from IEEE and IET. His research outcomes have been practically applied by power utilities in Australia, USA, Hong Kong, Macau, and China Mainland.
In Singapore, his research is funded by National Research Foundation (NRF), Ministry of Education (MOE), Energy Market Authority (EMA), Housing & Development Board (HDB), DSO National Laboratories, Rolls-Royce, etc. He has also been collaborating with a number of universities in Australia, China, Hong Kong, UK, Denmark, France, Switzerland, US.
A Senior Member of the IEEE, Dr Xu is serving as an Editor for IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid and a committee member for IEEE PES Singapore Chapter.
- Big-Data Analytics for Future Smart Grid Security Assessment, Control and Optimization
- Development of a Planning Tool for Electric Vehicle Impact Analysis and Urban Living Electrical Infrastructure Planning
- Electro-Mechanical Interactions in Starter Generator
- Grid Compliance for the Land based Power Generators
- Grid-customer Integrated Resilience Assessment and Enhancement for Modern Power Systems
- IEMI Study on Power Grid
- Research, development and demonstration of energy storage systems and technologies dedicated to renewable energy integration in remote locations
- Site A - 2.4MWh/2.4MWh Lithium-ion Solutions: Work Packages 8 - 15 and 20
- Stability-Constrained Robust Dispatch of Renewable Power Systems under Multiple Uncertainties
- Technologies for Smart Power Plant